Happy New Year!
What’s on your resolution list this year? Losing weight? Making more money? Traveling again? Whatever you choose, your ability to follow through depends on your sense of strength and will, and that is often determined by brain chemistry. Sabotaging our own plan is not intended, but we all do it by unconsciously reacting to our stressors. According to experts, nearly half of us say stress has negatively affected our behavior.
Fight or flight reactions aren’t the best way to get things done. Getting a grip so you can become your best self starts by taking really great care of yourself. Have you heard the message to “put your oxygen mask on first?” Good self-care enables you to operate from a ‘full cup’, not one with a hole in it! Prioritizing your sleep, nutrition, exercise, prayer and meditation, are key building blocks – and so is caring for your ECS! These all boost your ability to remain strong.
The ECS & The Brain
The Endocannabinoid system (ECS) buffers the messaging between the cells of the body and affects our brain chemistry. Deficiency in Anandamide and CB1 receptors can cause anxiety, lack of joy and meaning, and persistent negative memories – which would make it hard to grow, evolve, and change. Deficiency in 2-AG and CB2 receptors allows neuroinflammation in the brain which can cause depression and activates the HPA axis which increases cortisol and negatively affects the cardiovascular, metabolic and immune system. When we are stressed our ECS suffers, which is why caring for the ECS is your first step to success.
Self-Care for the ECS
It’s normal to overdo it during the holidays – over eating, drinking, spending, thinking, watching movies, traveling, etc – anything but good self-care! Caring for our ECS starts with lifestyle medicine – whole food nutrition, a daily walk, calming the mind, connecting with friends and family, and a good laugh. The performance of the ECS diminishes with age, which is why taking supplements of phytocannabinoids can boost the performance of our own ECS naturally. Plant compounds like THC, CBD, and the minor cannabinoids directly activate our CB1 & CB2 receptors, filling the gap to bring us back to balance, helping us create new receptors, and improving our resilience to stress.
Supplementing with CBD
The best way to supplement is to start with a daily tincture for systemic benefits.
- Tinctures can be dosed 2-3 times per day to mimic the constant on/off of the endocannabinoid system. Onset is in 15 – 20 minutes, and duration is 4-6 hours. A full spectrum oil is preferred to an isolate as it contains terpenes and botanicals that can aid healing through the entourage effect. Holding the drops in your mouth under your tongue for 60 seconds before swallowing allows systemic activation of these compounds in the bloodstream. This helps distribute the medicine throughout the body for overall relief. Consistent ongoing dosing is key, so stay patient and enjoy the long term physical and mental benefits.
- Lumir Refocus contains CBD, CBG, and THCV to support energy, focus, metabolism, and mood.
- Lumir Relax contains CBD, CBDA, and CBN to promote a sense of calm, easing the mind and aiding better sleep.
- Lumir Reinforce contains CBD, CBDA, CBGA to promote the health of the microbiome and boost the immune system, reinforcing resilience.
- Lumir Recover contains CBD, CBG, CBN to alleviate discomfort and distress, a healthy solution for sore muscles, aching joints & overall pain.
- Suggested dosing is 20 mgs twice a day for any of the four formulations.
Inhalation can provide immediate benefits when stress and anxiety arise.
- Vape dry herb CBD or low-THC flowers to reduce stress and drop into the present moment. Use as needed to boost creative thinking and flow.
- Vape dry herb low THC flowers in the evening to relax the body from pain and the day. Use as needed to deepen sleep for better repair.
How to Safely Use Medical Cannabis and CBD Supplements
Plants are generally very safe adaptogens that nudge us back to health. CBD & Cannabis have very few side effects, which are easily managed with dosing.
CBD may cause fatigue or increased energy, reduced appetite or in some rare cases, dizziness. THC may trigger the same sensations as CBD, but contributes to changes to time and perception, short term memory impairment, balance or mood changes, red eyes, dry mouth, and an increased appetite.
Medical Cannabis & CBD are very safe, and effects are dose dependent. Low VS High doses may cause opposite effects. As you adjust dosing, tolerance will grow leading to more predictability. Drug interactions may occur with pharmaceuticals so discuss CBD / Cannabis use with your physician. Other medications can be affected by cannabinoids, so please consult our Nurse Line for guidance.
Have Questions about using Cannabis for Wellness & Beating Stress?
At Lumir Clinic our experienced Cannabis Nurses are here to save you time and money, helping you live your best life. We are here to educate and empower you to make choices that are best for you to support whole health using CBD and other cannabinoid formulations.
- Call 970-404- HOPE (4673) to speak to a Cannabis Nurse for FREE
- Shop Green Nurse Approved Products and Programs
- Schedule a 1:1 Coaching Session with a Lumir Clinic Nurse
- Join our Private Network & Community to grow on your journey
Clinical Conversations – Join us for our monthly webcast Wednesday January 11th at 12pm PST where we bring you hugs and nugs of education to support your plant medicine journey. This month’s topic is “Happiness Hacks – Boosting Your Endocannabinoid System.” We will discuss how certain daily activities can affect brain chemistry, promote health, wellness and actually make your self care regimen more enjoyable which will boost the effects of plant medicine.
Blessings for a Fabulous 2023 from Team Holistic Caring
~ Elisabeth Mack, Sherri Tutkus-Mack, and The Green Nurses at Lumir Clinic